Commonly Asked Questions
Helping you navigate life's currents.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What are the specific services you provide?
We provide financial planning and investment management from a Biblical stewardship perspective. Specifically we:
- Help you craft and periodically update a goal—focused financial plan. The written plan summarizes your concerns, needs and goals. We offer recommendations when we deem them appropriate to your situation and provide ‘Next Steps’ so you have an action plan that increases the probability of achieving your goals. The number of meetings depends entirely on the situation and we strive to tailor our planning services to your specific needs.
- Provide investment portfolios that align with and flow out of your financial plan. We are pleased to review and discuss your investment portfolios as appropriate.
- Our financial advisers will offer expert guidance along the way that helps you stay on course.
For what types of accounts do you provide investment management?
We provide investment management for the following types of accounts:
- Traditional, Roth, SEP, SIMPLE, and 403(b) individual retirement accounts. Individual or joint investment accounts.
- CESA or 529 educational accounts
- UGMA or UTMA custodial accounts
- Corporate, partnership, not—for—profit organization, trust or estate accounts
What types of investments do you use?
We use a combination of low cost index funds, exchange—traded funds (ETF’s) and actively managed, institutional mutual funds to create portfolios designed to achieve the objectives defined in your financial plan.
We do not use illiquid investments such as: Limited Partnerships, Master Limited Partnerships and Unit Investment Trusts.
How do you make investment decisions?
We have a balanced approach to managing client investment portfolios.
- All investment processes are controlled through a detailed investment policy approved by our board of directors.
- Our chief investment officer and internal investment management committee systematically monitor the macro environment, evaluate all investments and identify modifications as deemed appropriate.
- We use a third party investment consultant to assist with research, performance analytics, asset allocation strategies, manager searches and the development of continuous improvements.
- We have a highly qualified Investment Committee from our board of directors which reviews all investment performance quarterly and analyzes, approves or modifies all investment related recommendations before any portfolio changes are initiated.
How have your investments performed?
Investment performance varies for each portfolio and depends on a variety of factors such as objectives, time horizons and cash flows into and out of the account. The GuideStream Financial advisers are qualified and pleased to discuss your account performance as appropriate.
Do you have any values—based investment restrictions?
Philosophically, there are companies and industries with practices that are counter to GuideStream’s values as they pertain to alcohol, tobacco, abortion, gambling and pornography.
GuideStream recognizes that some companies derive a majority of their revenue from such activities. Other companies may not derive such a large portion of revenue, but may, nonetheless, maintain a high profile in the activity in question.
We recognize that it is not feasible to screen holdings of index funds or ETF’s. While we acknowledge the limitations within our mutual fund investments, GSF strives to build core portfolios in which no significant holdings of the portfolios violate either aspect of the above two items. GSF monitors these holdings, recognizing that top holdings’ data from the mutual funds and third party databases report the past rather than guarantee future activity.
How many accounts do you manage?
GuideStream Financial (GSF) manages over 1200 accounts for our GuideStream Financial clients.
How are you compensated?
There are two primary models of compensation in the financial services industry:
Commissions: This model provides compensation to the adviser based upon what the adviser sells.
Fee Based: This model compensates an adviser through a fixed percentage fee charged on the assets under management.
GuideStream Financial is compensated using the Fee Based approach. We offer a reasonable fee based on the level of your assets and provide the specified rate on the entire balance.
How much do your services cost? Our fee schedule is as follows:
$ 0 — $ 250,000 1.09%
$ 250,001 — $ 1,000,000 0.94%
$ 1,000,001 + 0.59%
You can aggregate investments between immediate family members and receive the lowest rate for which the combined investments qualify. We charge 1/12th of the fee each month based on a daily average balance. * Plus 0.03% (three one hundredths of 1%) fee from third party custodian.
What are your credentials? Each of our team members has a wide range of qualifications, certifications (CFP®, ChFC®, CPA, CIMA®, CGMA, CASL®, CLU®, CRPC®, CKA, FSCP® & CFIRS®), and many have advanced degrees (MBA, MPAc).
Will you act as a Fiduciary for me (us)?
An advisor who is a Fiduciary has the responsibility of putting their client’s needs before the interest of themselves or their firm. GuideStream Financial is a Registered Investment Advisory Firm and we will act as a fiduciary on your behalf.
CONTACT US TODAY TO BEGIN THE CONVERSATION
Our calling is to enable you to experience the joy & peace of building your financial life and legacy to its God given potential.
GuideStream Financial is a ministry of FMF Financial Services
Monday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Tuesday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Wednesday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Thursday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
8050 Spring Arbor Rd.
PO Box 580
Spring Arbor, MI 49283
phone: (517) 750-2727
fax: (517) 750-2752